Thursday, April 15, 2010

What if...

Hello.

Dave Pelzer came to MSU and talked to a large group of people yesterday evening. If you don't know, Dave Pelzer is the author of the book _A Child Called "It"_. I myself have never read this book or any of his other books, but I know it is about him as a child with an abusive, alcoholic, mentally unstable mother and the atrocities she put him through. When I went to the talk I thought he was going to talk about a lot of those things, but they were a very, very minor part of his speech. One of the topics he talked about was to not look back and think constantly "What if...". This is definitely something that pertains to me. He said that if you constantly look back and think "Well, what if I had/hadn't done this..." or "What if I had/hadn't said this..." you will see only your past and you will never be able to see the present and you will never be able to reach your full potential.

I am constantly thinking these things. I am very guilty. There are so many times I think to back to things and think "What if I had turned and looked him in the eyes that day...", "What if I had said 'yes' or 'no' to this situation...", "What if I hadn't told my best friend the truth...". Things happen for a reason. I may not have made the best choice in life, but it's all part of God's big, perfect plan. If I had done anything any differently it wouldn't be what wanted. The choices we make mold us into the people we are today, and they only continue to mold us.

1 comment: